Monday 21 January 2008

"Things We Lost In The Fire" (Susanne Bier)


For some reason I don't really want to like Danish director Susanne Bier. I think it's still the mass appeal of "Den Eneste Ene", that causes me to categorise her with all the other uninteresting Danish Directors. But I liked "Brødre" I must admit, and I certainly like her new film "Things We Lost In the Fire". This is her first film in Hollywood, but she pulled it of nicely. The story is an emotional one, but it never goes over the top. Benicio del Toro (whom I loved ever since he played a fat drug-using Samoan Attorney) gives an amazing performance, and Halle manages her end very nicely as well. I also like the cutting of the film, which is not chronological. So if you like dramas and great acting, I highly recommend this.

No comments: